Schedule a Free Consultation With a Top Car Accident Attorney Near Hartford, CT
At Bert McDowell Injury Law, LLC, our Hartford auto accident attorney is an experienced advocate for victims and families. Were you hurt in a crash in or around Hartford? You need a car accident attorney near you who can help you navigate all aspects of the claims process. Do not take on a large insurance company alone. Give us a call now or contact us online for your free case review.
What to Do After a Car Accident in Hartford, CT
Car crashes are stressful and frustrating. Much more than ruining your day, a serious accident can change your entire life. Knowing what to do after an accident in Hartford can make a big difference. Here are four actionable steps to take after a traffic collision in Hartford:
- Pull Over and Report the Crash to Police: After any car accident in Hartford, CT, your safety and the safety of others should be your primary concern. Make sure that you stop your vehicle and exchange information. All injury crashes should be reported to law enforcement, such as the Hartford Police Department.
- Get Medical Care for Any Injuries (Emergencies First): Did you sustain any type of physical injury in a crash? You need to seek immediate medical treatment. Emergencies will always take priority. Non-emergencies must be evaluated by a doctor. You have to see a doctor to bring a personal injury claim in Connecticut.
- Carefully Document Your Car Crash: Make a thorough record of the accident scene. This includes taking photographs of all vehicle damage, any visible injuries, and the overall scene. If there were any witnesses, ask for their contact information. Jot down the details of the incident while they are still fresh in your mind.
- Get Help From a Hartford Personal Injury Attorney: Do not go up against the big insurance companies alone. Before you give a recorded statement to any insurance company, you should consult with an experienced car accident lawyer in CT.
Understanding the Auto Accident Liability Laws in Connecticut
Hartford car accident claims fall under Connecticut state law. There are some notable variations from state to state in terms of auto accident liability. Here are the three most vital things to understand about motor vehicle liability in Connecticut:
- Liability is Based on Fault: To hold another party legally responsible for your crash, you must prove fault. Every crash in Hartford should be carefully investigated by a lawyer. You need evidence to prove that the defendant bears fault.
- Comparative Negligence Apportions Liability: More than one party may be legally liable for the same auto accident in Connecticut. Under Connecticut law (C.G.S.A. § 52-572(h)), comparative negligence applies.
- A Two Year Deadline: There is a limited window to bring a personal injury claim. Under Connecticut law (C.G.S.A. § 52-584), the statute of limitations is two years from the date of the crash. Consult with a Hartford, CT auto accident lawyer as soon as possible after a wreck.
Recovering Compensation for a Car Accident in Hartford
Hurt in a car crash in Hartford? You need financial compensation to pay bills and support your loved ones. Insurance companies will always put their interests above your own. Our Hartford, CT personal injury lawyer fights tirelessly to help victims and families secure the maximum settlement or verdict. Compensatory damages may be available for the following losses:
- Vehicle repairs;
- Emergency room care;
- Hospital bills;
- Medical expenses;
- Physical therapy;
- Lost wages;
- Loss of earning power;
- Pain and suffering;
- Mental distress;
- Disfigurement; and
- Wrongful death.
Hurt in a Car Accident in Hartford? Bring On, Bert!
Our founder and lead attorney Bert McDowell Jr. fights to protect the rights of the people who need help. We are on your side—we are not here to protect large corporations or big insurance companies. Along with other things, our Hartford auto accident lawyers can:
- Hear what you have to say and answer your legal questions;
- Investigate your motor vehicle crash, gathering the relevant evidence;
- Handle legal paperwork and any settlement talks with the insurers; and
- Go the extra mile to help you secure justice and the maximum compensation.
Set Up a Free Consultation With Our Hartford, CT Auto Accident Attorney Today
At Bert McDowell Injury Law, LLC, our Hartford auto accident lawyer is an aggressive, effective advocate for victims and families. You can count on Bert when it matters most. Contact us today for your free, no-obligation consultation. We fight for the rights of car crash victims in Hartford, Hartford County, and all across the wider region of Connecticut.