Was Your Child Injured in an Accident in Hartford? Bring on Bert
At Bert McDowell Injury Law, LLC, our Hartford child injury attorney is a compassionate, experienced, and justice-focused advocate for the people and families who need legal help the most. If your child was hurt in any type of accident, it is imperative that they get the proper medical care. We are here to handle all aspects of your legal case. To set up a free, no obligation consultation with a top Connecticut child injury lawyer, please do not hesitate to contact us today.
Children are Vulnerable—They Must Be Protected
In a world bustling with constant activity, our most precious and vulnerable members, children, must always be safeguarded. Due to their developing mental and physical abilities, children are often especially susceptible to accidents and injuries. They require the proper supervision. In Connecticut, the law acknowledges this fact, mandating a duty of care towards children, especially in environments such as schools, playgrounds, daycare centers, and even private homes.
Four Key Things to Know About Child Injury Claims in Connecticut
There are some specialized factors that apply in personal injury claims in Connecticut. If your child was hurt in any type of incident in Hartford, it is imperative that you know how to navigate the claims process. Here are four key things to understand about our state’s child injury claims process:
- Parent Can Bring Claim: A minor cannot bring a claim by themselves. As a general rule, the parent or guardian of the child is responsible for initiating the personal injury case.
- Age Factor: Connecticut law recognizes the ‘Tender Years Doctrine.’ The doctrine acknowledges the lack of sound judgment in children, particularly those under seven years old. Injuries sustained by these children often place the burden of proof on the defendant.
- Statute of Limitations: Unlike other personal injury claims, where the standard time limit is two years from the date of injury, child injury claims in Connecticut have a longer window. The statute of limitations extends until the injured child’s 20th birthday.
- Court Approval for Settlement ($10,000 or More): In Connecticut, any personal injury settlement reached for the benefit of a minor that is in excess of $10,000 must be approved by a court. Your attorney can help.
How Hartford Child Injury Lawyer Bert McDowell Jr. Can Help
Child injury claims are especially complex. Bert McDowell Jr. is a passionate advocate for victims—especially the most vulnerable. When you contact our law firm, you will have a chance to work with a child injury lawyer in Connecticut who can:
- Hear what you have to say and answer your legal questions;
- Investigate the accident that led to your child’s injuries;
- Handle legal paperwork and correspondence with insurance companies; and
- Take aggressive action to ensure that your family gets the best outcome.
Hurt Call Bert: Contact Our Hartford Child Injury Attorney Today
At Bert McDowell Injury Law, LLC, our child injury lawyer Hartford has the professional skills, experience, and passion that you and your family can trust. If your child was hurt in an accident, please do not hesitate to contact us now for a free, fully private consultation. We represent children in personal injury claims in Hartford, Hartford County, and all across the wider region.